Re: weather/tropicals

I'm doing a bit of experimenting....every year certain plants that I used to
take in get too large to do that, so they are left outside.  Used to take in
the Hibiscus, bougainvillas, etc.  They have been outside for years now, had
one boug. die back to the roots one year, but it stood in water, which didn't
help, thank goodness it came back.

This year it's the Plumerias.  It is said that they do not take temps below
40.  And since they go dormant and do not have to be watered all winter, they
are usually the first to come into the garage until spring.  This year however,
they are too large, and not enough room in the garage for them....so....we'll
see.  I do have plastic over them so they don't get the rain.  I think being
soggy and cold is the worst for any tropicals (aka zone 9-12 plants).
We'll see.  Do hope they make, it.  So far they are okay.  Did bring in the
two species of evergreen Plumerias though.....although they need care during
the winter, unlike the deciduous varieties.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 1/7/2004 8:30:39 PM Central Standard Time,