Re: now weather, Pam's-Progress on the garden wall

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] now weather, Pam's-Progress on the garden wall
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:43:00 -0500

Don't think it's a sun issue, Pam; more a wet cold issue where the
rhizomes rot.  Even mulched with 2' of chopped leaves, dry mulch
layer and Styrofoam, they still rotted on my as that clay is just to
waterlogged in winter or something...or they just hate me:-)  They
grow well during summer and I always have to dig twice what I
planted, but they just won't overwinter in the ground for me:-(

If find they will grow just fine in part sun or light shade; may not
bloom as much as in full sun, but I grow them for the foliage
primarily.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade