Re: 'Limerock Ruby'

Well, Kitty, the wet crown thing seems to affect a lot of borderline
hardy plants - and from what I've heard, it's not just 'wet' crown,
but 'cold-wet' crown that does the plants in.  So, maybe it will
survive best in a dry site or raised bed situation.  I have not grown
Coreopsis for years; ever since where I used to have some sun became
too shady for them.

Interesting about the cutting.  Probably because it roots from the
nodes and forms more roots from 2 nodes than one?

Tony has said many times about a lot of plants that are borderline
hardy in northern parts of z7 that keeping them dry over winter is
the key; they can handle cold, just not wet cold.  I have found this
pretty impossible in my clay borders, even when they otherwise drain
well.   Did read, however, on a nursery site whose name escapes me
just now, but it's in my climate zone, that they had kept a brug
alive by building an underground masonry wall around 3 sides of it;
amending the soil so it drained like a bandit and mulching like
mad....lotta work, but one of these years, I just may give it a
whirl.  The concrete block wall kept the soil warmer, it seems.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers