Re: clumping bamboo

That's pretty much my experience with Buddha Belly, also. I planted a small one in the ground and three years later had a very large clump, maybe 15 to 20 feet tall and 4 feet in diameter. Too big for the space it was in, so I sold it to the nursery where I work... and it ended up in the landscape of one of the mansions on St. Armand's Key, which was subsequently featured in House Beautiful. Gave me a funny feeling when I saw it in one of the pictures; I halfway wanted it back.