Re: speaking of plants... what a concept!

Donna, you know what they say about great minds running around in the
same circles:-)   I grow a fair number of plants, but am currently
revisiting the realization of just how many I do NOT grow as I pour
over catalogs and seed lists...too many plants; not enough time or
space.  When I read the NARGS seed list, I don't even recognize about
60% of the plants listed, let alone grow them!

Well, checked Tony's site and that Asparagus verticillatus is
supposed to be hardy to z3.  Who'd a thunk it to look at the sucker?
So go for it; it is a neat plant.  Wants sun, I think, as I seem to
recall seeing it in his sunny borders and that's what holds me back
as I have so little of it to offer for something permanent.

I have this sinking feeling that the Suite101 image gremlin is still
at work.  None of the images were loading in my articles last night.
I had gotten those links to load from my files page, but all the rest
gave a message that the server couldn't load them...the Suite is
having some sort of problem with files again:-(  Sorry.  I think
Chris may have the Indigofera on the hort.net gallery.

Yes, that Arisaema page engenders serious lust; some great pix there.
They also have a hardiness list with known hardiness of most of the
species from people who are growing them.  Link to that is, I think,
on the main page farther down.

The trick with most of the Asian species is extremely good drainage
and relatively dry dormancy conditions...not bone dry, but dry rather
than constantly damp.  I've seen "dirty sand" recommended as a
growing medium for them.  By 'dirty', was meant sand with humus
(organic material) added.  Since I read that post, I have been
planting tubers in holes filled with "dirty" sand in otherwise highly
organically amended beds....would not do to dig a nice hole in clay
and fill it with sand.  Planting under deciduous shrubs and trees is
also good as the woody plant roots tend to suck up soil moisture.

That saccharum must be one of the hardy clones that was mentioned in
Greenlee's book.  If it says z6, give it a try...what the heck!
There are some with purple foliage that are sure tempting to me, but
if there is anything I do not need it's another huge sized pot of
something to deal with in winter and, again, it wants a lot of sun,
so it would have to live in a pot to get it..sigh.  I love gardening
in shade except some of the time when I lust for sun loving plants:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :