RE: NWF habitat certification - ponds

Your first year with the pond will be rough. It is going to turn pea
soup green... count on it! Do nothing but continue to circulate the
water, do not add a zillion chemicals, do not drain it and clean it, and
as long as you have enough plants in there, it will clear up on it's own
in a couple of weeks.

My filtration system is home made out of Rubbermaid containers. You do
need a few things to make it work. You need somewhere to grow good
bacteria, I use lava rocks which all the circulated water must flow
thru, -- and some way to get the leaves and waste out of the bottom of
the pond. The rest is handled by my plants. I have many that are bare
root to absorb all the extra nutrients and purify the water.

If you talk to ten different pond owners, they all have a different way
to accomplish this. Every pond is different and you need to find out
what yours needs.

Good Luck and if you run into problems, there are a few of us here that
have ponds....

Donna

HAVE
> have a skimmer and HAVE to have a filter with UV or else you will
never
> have a
> pond that will support any kind of life except algae.  I want to prove
> them
> wrong.
>
> My pond will not be a stagnant water hole.  I do have a pump, which
will
> be
> connected to a biofilter and the water will be directed over rocks for
> small
> waterfall.  I bought the most energy efficient pump I could find.  It
> doesn't
> pump 10 million gallons per hour, but by my calculations, it should be
> sufficient for the size of my pond to circulate the water reasonably
well.
> Oh well,
> we shall see.
>
> Eva
> Long Island, NY
> Zone 6/7
>
> "We don't do enough to exploit renewable energy resources."
> Me
>
> In a message dated 1/25/2004 4:10:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> justme@prairieinet.net writes:
> You will love your pond... and it will attract any wildlife around. My
> pond was built to keep critters out, straight sides that go down.
Keeps