Re: NWF habitat certification - ponds

Thanks, Donna.  I think I will like it too, though, my big fear is that I am
going to do something wrong or not achieve the right balance and end up with a
huge algae pea soup mess!

I chose not to go with the supposedly foolproof professional skimmer setup
because I wanted a pond that was as energy efficient as I could make it.  And of
course all of the "pond experts" in the nurseries all claim that you HAVE to
have a skimmer and HAVE to have a filter with UV or else you will never have a
pond that will support any kind of life except algae.  I want to prove them
wrong.

My pond will not be a stagnant water hole.  I do have a pump, which will be
connected to a biofilter and the water will be directed over rocks for a small
waterfall.  I bought the most energy efficient pump I could find.  It doesn't
pump 10 million gallons per hour, but by my calculations, it should be
sufficient for the size of my pond to circulate the water reasonably well.  Oh well,
we shall see.

Eva
Long Island, NY
Zone 6/7

"We don't do enough to exploit renewable energy resources."
Me

In a message dated 1/25/2004 4:10:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,