RE: NWF habitat certification - pond heater

Buy one that is designed for a pond- here they are about 30.00. They are
thermostatically controlled, so they do not run if not needed. Ones for
livestock run continuously, and drive the bill nuts.

You can make your own with Styrofoam and plastic, kinda like a floating
greenhouse dome, some folks have had luck with that. You only need to
keep a small hole open, so if your freezing period is not that long,
walk out and throw a handful of water softener salt on it to open it up.
Just plan ahead and don't end up having a plant under that spot.

Another issue if you have fish and snow... you need to shovel your pond
if the snow is going to be there for more than a day or so. Most times
here, it is not an issue, as it blows off somewhere else. But during
extreme snow cover, I have been known to do that. If the pond is
completely covered in snow, the plants, although dormant, still suck the
oxygen out of the water while in darkness, just like they do every
night, which doesn't leave enough for the fish. This is also based on
what kind of plants you have... some it doesn't matter.