RE: Habitat/ponds

Nope- I don't use any chemical. I clean out my filters, sometimes
replace some matting if it needs it, and turn it on... I do add water
hyacinth to the top of the waterfall yearly, as it is not hardy here.
Not sure if they are legal where you are, but here it is fine. I never
let them escape, they die here. Unfortunately, they do not make good
compost... take forever to decompose....