Re: Kalanchoe

Here's a little something I had on Kalanchoe

Flaming Katy
Kalanchoe blossfeldiana
(Use these instructions for other Kalanchoes, too)

This Kalanchoe is a perky little plant, easy to maintain, with blooms in an
array of festive colors.  It features dark-green succulent leaves topped by
masses of miniature, brightly colored blossoms. They come in red, orange,
yellow or salmon-pink.The blooms are typically present for many weeks, even
months, making for a long display of cheerful color.

Give Flaming Katy lots of bright light--even direct sun during cooler
months--to keep it happy. Its easy-care nature makes it ideal for dry,
heated homes, since it doesn't mind warm temperatures. Water thoroughly,
then allow your kalanchoe to dry before watering again. During active
growth, fertilize the plant with a diluted water-soluble houseplant
fertilizer each time you water.

In its native Madagascar, this plant blooms during the spring months, but we
can encourage kalanchoe to produce blooms during virtually any season.
Kalanchoe is similar to poinsettia and chrysanthemum in that it is
photoperiodic, meaning it initiates flowering in response to long nights.
Growers pull opaque fabric over their plants for 14 hours each night until
the plants initiate flower buds. You can accomplish the same thing by
placing a box over your plant for the lame "long night" period. Propagate
new plants by rooting leaves or stems in potting soil. It will take 6 to 12
months to get the new plants large enough to bloom properly.

After blooming, cut back leggy growth and old flower stems, then repot, and
keep well watered in a sunny window. After the last frost, move outdoors
gradually, sheltering from direct sun. Bring indoors and start controlling
light in early October for January blooms.