From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:45 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Df photos of greenhouse

Does seem that we've had more than a normal amount of disappoints the
last couple of years.

George Gerbner, the dean emeritus of Penn's Annenberg School of
Communications died Christmas eve. He made a career of associating
human behavior with TV violence. Gerbner believed people no longer
learned their cultural identity from family, schools, churches, and
communities but from "a handful of conglomerates who have something to
sell." In 1981, he told Congress people who watch large amounts of
television are more likely to believe that the world is a frightening
place. "Fearful people are more dependent," he said, "more easily
manipulated and controlled, more susceptible to deceptively simple,
strong, tough measures, and hard-line postures... They may accept and
even welcome repression if it promises to relieve their insecurities."

Thought you might be interested.

On Jan 3, 2006, at 6:36 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing
Center wrote:

> It's just all toooooooooooooooo much!  what the heck is going on?
> Storms,
> mudslides, terrorists, fires, earthquakes, GWB, tsunamis, hurricanes,
> wiretapping, drought, floods, and idiots throw caged cats off bridges!
>  It's
> one disaster after another.  Stop the world, I want to get off!
>
> Kitty

James Singer
Executive Editor
The American Encyclopedia of Moot Questions