From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Gene Bush
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 6:00 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'

Hello Japanese woodland grass fans...
    Of which I am one! I have been growing several cultivars of
Hakonechloa
for some years now in my garden. While in Madison, Wisc. I saw it
growing in
almost every garden I visited. Much more cold hardy than generally
listed in
literature. Cyndi, the grass will take quite a bit of dry after being
established, but it will not take a try desert environment. Some
cultivars
will take more light than others, but all do best in bright open shade.
Aureola is probably the slowest growing of the cultivars. No one
considers
the species and I truly like that one. It was my first, a gift from a
friend
years back. Now a flowing clump at a junction of two paths in raised bed

with hypertufa trough. Seeds are not produced until very late in the
season.
Trying to remember exactly when, believe it was in October, November. At

that point one could give it a bit of a haircut in need be.
    My grasses are growing on the side of a hill where they can flow....

especially love them with limestone rocks.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com