Re: Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'/ Species

Noreen, I never tried to grow it in Beaufort and was under the impression that it was too hot. I suspect Houston would be the same. But hey, it's worth a shot.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Bush" <genebush@otherside.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'/ Species

Hello Noreen,
I honestly do not have an answer for you. I have never gardened in your area. When I write a description it based upon my experience here in my garden plus what I have read that I consider reliable.. usually from several sources. I understand Japan gets very humid in late summer with their heat. Perhaps someone can chime in here with practical experience comparing countries and weather.
As you know there is zone 9 and then there is zone 9... just depends upon where you experience it. Do you know of anyone in your area who is growing Japanese shade grass or public gardens to check in your area? Perhaps a bit more shade than I would use here?
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Gene, any new ones that would be considered heat tolerant?? I've always
loved this plant, and would love to add it to the Japanese garden area, however
always heard and read that it would not do well at all in zone 9.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast