Re: Plants for the midwest/clay

I'd recommend you also consider prairie plants. Your part of the
state was probably tall grass prairie to begin with, and there are a
number that are well adapted to clay soils - Allium cernuum, Cassia,
Baptisia, Aster novae angliae, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Eryngium
yuccifolium, Liatris, Heliopsis, Parthenium integrifolium, Silphium,
Ratibida, Solidago, Vernonia fasciculata, Schizachyrium scoparium and
Sorghastrum nutans. Check out Prairie Moon Nursery -
www.prairiemoon.com , or Prairie Nursery - www.prairienursery.com.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b