Re: greenhouse/butterflies

Hi Noreen,
A.durior I believe is our native pipeviine.... I do not know how extensive its range is. Suppose there is a map someplace showing its range. I know it was used as a porch screen before air-conditioning on a lot of old homes. Al clematitis is a European species... perfectly hardy, just do not know how heat tolerant it is. Naturally, it is probably easier to come across the European species than our native.
Would you know just how zone hardy A. grande is?
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Thanks Gene.....will have to check if these grow here. Only one I've seen
available for butterflies other than the natives (which are hard to come by)
is the A. fimbriata. I have seeds for the A. grande if you would like some.
I don't know if all Aristolochias have seed pods like these (probably
do).....they are shaped like parachutes when they open up. Really quite ornamental,
I think.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast