Taking stock

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Taking stock
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:34:52 -0800

I did a quick check on my dry garden this weekend to see what survived
the Big Freeze. Could be worse I guess. The salvia greggii, probably
eight or ten plants, have no leaves left. But the stems look like
there's a possibility they are still alive down near the roots so I have
hope. I'm pretty sure I lost the caesalpinia. The salvia clevelandii,
there are six or seven big plants, looks burnt but not too bad. The
opuntia...ooooh poor thing...I thought it looked bad before...but it's
not actually flat to the ground so we'll see what happens. Salvia
leucophylla had some damage but not much. Salvia spathacea looks pretty
bad, I can only hope that comes back from the roots since it does
sucker. The bulbine is gone but I have more in the greenhouse. The
lavender and the buckwheat look fine, and everything else is just sticks
at the moment so I'll have to wait for spring.  Since I lost a few
things during the summer heatwave I was going to fill holes anyway,
guess this means a bigger buy list. Sigh.
In my herb patch the sage looks stunned but living. The thyme is mostly
crispy and there's no sign of the oregano. Plus a gopher got into the
area so I'm not sure if I have chives left. I hope the little bugger
didn't chew on the roots of my dwarf nectarine...
I haven't really checked the rest of the garden closely, what I do see
looks okay although the rosemary got a bit nipped. I managed to clear
out the remaining debris from the vegetable garden on Saturday so that's
all done. The ground is bone dry. Usually we might be seeing a little
early grass by now, but there's nothing growing in the un-irrigated