Re: New Year

Yesterday's 40 degrees and a bit of sun just about finished off the last
of the three inches of ice that fell nearly three weeks ago as sleet.  It
had been a solid block - impossible to shovel - but has diminished day
by day as the temperatures stayed in the 30s.  Now that the ground is
mostly bare again, we get the intense cold with no snow insulation.
It's bad for plants, and I really hate to think about what birds and small
creatures will do.  We had such a spell last winter, and things did
survive, so I guess they will get by again.  What I did notice this past
summer was that I had fewer slugs than any recent year, but I thought
the drought was partly responsible.  Also, I did not have any Mexican
bean beetles on my beans, so maybe the open cold helped.  Still, I
would be happier if we had a snow cover.
In a message dated 01/01/2008 10:48:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,