Re: Japanese Maple 'Orangeola'

One thing we in the South found last year was that Japanese Maple bark is
extremely susceptible to sun scald when it goes from shaded to full sun.
When we had the freeze last Easter, lots of the new growth died, as
expected. What nobody counted on was that the bark lower down would be
fried.

I lost one maple entirely, and had severe damage to 2 others. Many people
reported the same, and the local arborists were busy rigging shade cloth.
We, of course, grow ours in afternoon shade anyway. You might consider is to
limb up and thin the crown of your cherry this year to allow more sun on the
Orangeola and then take the cherry down next year.

If you decide to do the deed this year, do it well before new leaves break.
Once
they've put out larger leaves to accommodate shade, they have a tough time
maintaining them in the sun. There's also the humidity difference between
being under a transpiring tree and being out in the open.