RE: something is eating my veggies!

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: something is eating my veggies!
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 07:57:30 -0800

Nice to have figured it out! Are they eating the mature plants too or
just the seedlings?
I cover my newly planted beds with the fabric row cover. Sometimes I use
chicken wire sort of tented over an area to keep out rabbits and ravens
- you need some support in the middle and a way to stake it down at the
ends. Not terribly attractive, but it works. The little baskets that
strawberries come in will work for a couple weeks on individual
seedlings like squash plants. One year when I ran out of row cover, I
mulched really heavily with straw and just left the tiniest space open
along the row for the lettuce seeds to come through. That seemed to work
okay for a while, nothing noticed the new seedlings until they got
bigger.

Cyndi