Re: Food for Thought... Have you seen it?

Possibly it was because he would miss sharing breakfast with her.... Those nursing homes run on a schedule.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Jan 11, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Kitty wrote:

Hi Cathy,
A touching story, but I have to ask...
Since she didn't know him, she wouldn't be expecting him, so what did it matter if he was late?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Catharine Carpenter" <cathycrc@comcast.net > To: "Carmel Akins" <carmakins@hotmail.com>; "Kayla Bunger" <kbunger@earthlink.net >; "Kristin Hatton" <mandkhatton@comcast.net>; "Cassie Carpenter" <cassiecarpenter@gmail.com >; <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:45 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Food for Thought... Have you seen it?

Received this from someone who I never expected would consider this
important..... Tried to send this once. Don't think you received it .
Am trying again.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b

  How to Dance in the Rain

It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman
arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a
hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be
over an hour before someone would be able to see him. I saw him
looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another
patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was well healed, so
I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove
his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another
doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The
gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to
eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health. He told me
that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of
Alzheimer's Disease.

As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.

He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not
recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him,
'And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who
you are?'

He smiled as he patted my hand and said,

'She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is.'

I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm,
and thought,
'That is the kind of love I want in my life.'

True love is neither physical, nor romantic.
True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and
will not be.
With all the jokes and fun that are in e-mails, sometimes there is
one that comes along that has an important message. This one I
thought I could share with you.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have.

I hope you share this with someone you care about.
'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the
rain

 Do not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.
Today's trouble is enough for today.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b