To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 10:00 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] I feel good

The friend I go hiking with was in a car accident Saturday after she hit
some black ice on a canyon road. Fractured a vertebrae, not good. So my
weekend wasn't as happy as it could have been, but I did enjoy grubbing
in the dirt both days. It was a great weekend weatherwise. No wind plus
sunshine, t-shirt weather! I worked outside clearing what was left of
old tomato and basil plants in the vegetable garden and cutting back
rabbitbrush in the dry garden. Husband dug up some old non-productive
grapevines, they were some kind of wine grape, and we bought new
Thompson Seedless and Flame to replace them. I looked for bare-root
fruit trees but the local selection was pathetic. We've been checking
since New Year's but I guess the home centers just don't get enough
demand for them. I did buy a Tilton apricot and I'll call the only real
nursery in town today to see if they have anything. Otherwise I'll have
to mail-order a pomegranate, a couple peach trees, and maybe a pear.
I pruned my dwarf nectarine and some rosebushes too, but being as I was
too lazy to go get my gloves I am all scabbed up, you'd think I'd learn.

While digging in the veg garden I was noticing the soil. I have been
dumping spoiled hay and sheep manure in there for years. We received
about 4" of rain over the last few days. I dug down about 18" and the
top few inches, all mulch, is sopping wet. The rest of the soil is dry.
Not summer dry but not real moist either. In the "unimproved" areas like
where I planted the fruit tree, the water penetrated way down, farther
than I could dig. Hmmm, I'm thinking more rototilling is in my future.

Cyndi