RE: I feel good
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: I feel good
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:01:49 -0500

Hmmm all good points. I didn't rototill last year at all and I don't
remember doing much the year before that either. I wish I had seen more
of a gradation between the mulch level and the soil, it just didn't look
like much of the mulch was migrating downward. Things just do not rot
here without mega-gallons of water. If I put cardboard on the ground
right now with grass clippings on top, and we got our normal expected
rainfall, next summer I would see a layer of mostly withered grass with
perfectly usable cardboard underneath it.
On the plus side since all that veg garden mulch is sopping wet now, it
may actually start to break down. Woohoo!
Maybe I'll just bury the irrigation farther down this summer. That would
get water down past the mulch into the root zone and avoid stirring up
weed seeds. Although the wind we get during the year does a really good
job of spreading stuff around so it's not like there will be any
shortage of weeds anyway.
Oh well every place has its challenges.

Cyndi