Are you all snowbound?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Are you all snowbound?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:17:31 -0800

Sure a lot of extreme weather happening across the country, hope you are
all warm and safe. Here in my bit of So Cal it's sunny and getting a
little warmer, we might make it up to 60F today.
The weekend looks to be good for garden-related chores, but I already
have half my time booked for other things. The recent rains and snow
really got the ground soaked. If it's at all reasonable on Sunday I'll
get into the veggie garden and clean out the rest of last year's
plantings. Or I might pull out grass in the dry garden, that is getting
pretty thick. I cleaned out about a square yard of it a few weeks back,
it is slow going since I'm trying not to pull the wildflower seedlings.
I also need to buy vegetable seeds, last year I planted the peas,
greens, and onions in late February - I'll have to check what date - and
it worked out great, so I'll do that again. We are still using up the
peas I froze last spring, not as good as fresh but still tasty.
I must remember to fill the hummingbird feeder too, I heard one little
guy out there last week. I have no idea what he's eating at this time of
year.

Cyndi