Re: Are you all snowbound?
  • Subject: Re: Are you all snowbound?
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:30:14 -0500

The schools have been closed all week here in the Atlanta area. Our area has
not had any mail, FedEx or UPS, nor newspaper until this morning, when the
FedEx truck came into the neighborhood. Perhaps the mail will get here, too.

Most of us are doing ok. We've got power, which means we have heat and
light, and for internet junkies like me, a lifeline to the world.  That is
such a blessing! We have camping lanterns and such, but it's so nice to be
able to flip a switch and not fiddle.

We mostly have enough of everything to last us a couple of weeks, but I
picked up an extra gallon of fresh kerosene when I made a run for cat food
before this all started, and DH got some fresh gas and stabilizer for the
generator just in case. Fortunately, neither the kerosene heater nor the
generator have been necessary.

DH and SIL got to work on Wednesday noon, finally (snow started Sunday), but
the roads are still really bad, since we have no plows or sanders in this
county, and the state was so busy with the interstates (You probably saw it
on The Weather Channel), they never got to most of the state roads.  It's
supposed to finally get above freezing, maybe by noon today - the first
temps above 32 since the snowstorm  moved on up the coast. It was 11 here
this morning. :-(

A local landscaper was out yesterday, scraping the road with his bobcat. Guess he got tired of leaving his truck at the top of the hill and walking home.

I'm ready to move to Miami.