Re: Are you all snowbound?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Are you all snowbound?
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:51:11 EST

We have had two snows in the past ten days - about four inches the
first time, and then about another foot on top of it.  Local roads are
clear, and the guy who does our private road this year is better than
the one in the past.  Our road is steep and has a sharp drop-off on
one side, so it's important that it be well done.  However, he has not
been as good about our drive and steps. Embarassingly, a neighbor
lady came over and cleared our steps and part of the drive so that
we could get the car out.  I appreciated it very much, but hate to feel
that we so obviously need help.  I won't let Chet do the shoveling,
and can only do a bit at a time myself, but I still like to feel I am
capable of taking care of myself.

It's notable, however, for the low temperatures.  It was 4 degrees here
this morning, and won't be out of the teens at all today.  For that reason
I am very thankful for all the snow.  In the past few years we have had
less snow cover when the temps went down, and both plants and wild
animal life have suffered.  I am extremely glad we finally got Mackie,
the little homeless cat who adopted us, checked by the vet so we could
bring her in.  She is very happily ensconced in our downstairs rooms.
The other two cats know she is there, but so far their relationship is not
resolved.  Jane, the grey, has crept into the downstairs rooms when the
door was opened, and there were some ugly words exchanged, but no
physical contact.  Lottie, the tuxedo cat expresses sublime indifference.
She knows she's the alpha cat and feels no threat.  I guess they will
work things out eventually.  In the meantime, I'm just glad Mackie is
inside and not out in this cold.

The oriole is still coming to the feeders.  What an unusual sight in the
snow!

Here's hoping everyone else is warm and snug.
APL

In a message dated 1/14/2011 8:43:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,