Re: gravel

He's right, Kitty.  The soil under gravel stays cool and more moist
than bare soil, but rock will absorb heat and radiate it while
plants, who are transpiring all the time, cool the air around them.
Now, if the layer of gravel is very thin, it's not going to absorb
much heat for later radiation, but it will (being a lighter color -
usually - than soil) radiate the sun's heat, warming the air
immediately above it more than bare soil (which is dark and contains
some moisture even when dry) or plants.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
----------
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
>
> Theresa,
> He covers things briefly in a short space, but does touch on some
important
> points.
>
> Ground Cover Plants Take Heat Off House
> by James Dulley
>
> Qstn: I am trying to decide between using decorative gravel or
groundcover
> plants near my house.  I know the gravel gets hot in sun, but the
plants
> will make the air more humid.  Which is the best to use?
>
> Answr:  Gravel or stone that is exposed to the hot afternoon sun
can become
> a heat island.  This hot area can re-radiate the heat up through
your walls
> and into your windows.  Also, because gravel has a high thermal
mass
> capacity and is heavy, it stays hot long after the sun goes down.
>
> Decorative gravel can be an attractive accent, but limit its use to
aeas
> that receive shade from deciduous trees.  During winter, when trees
lose
> their leaves, the free solar heat stored in the gravel will be
welcomed.

> Low-growing groundcover in sunny locations adjacent to the house is
a good
> choice for most climates.  This is particularly true if you a/c
your home.
> If your windows and doors are properly weather-stripped, the higher
humidity
> of the air above the plants will not get inside your home.
>
> Plants, even small ones close to the ground, act as
mini-airconditioners.