From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Donna
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 3:54 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] tomatillos

How many plants do you have? Here is what I found listed:

. . . and Tomatillos . . .
We would really encourage people to try the tomatillos, which are always
a big success for us. In fact we get so many fruit we don't know what to
do with them all. The plants are productive and easy to grow, the small
fruit in a papery husk are related to the tomato and are used similarly.
Tomatillos are usually used to make fresh salsas (with chilli, onion,
tomato, fresh coriander & nacho chips -mmm!), but you can also add them
to pasta sauces etc.

Please note that if you want to save seed from your tomatillos (which is
very easy to do) you should grow only one variety, as they will cross.
They are not self compatible (i.e. they need to be pollinated by pollen
from another plant), so you do need to grow more than one plant to get

20072 'Verde Pueblo' Tomatillo
This tomatillo not only produces lots of large pale yellow-green fruit,
but unusually, has a very mild skin and is nice to eat raw. Thus ideal
for salsas (recipe included), but also makes a rich spaghetti sauce.

Sprawling type. Pale green fruit, good flavour.
#1.50 - 30 seeds

snipped from: www.vidaverde.co.uk/ tomatoes.html

My tomatoes are still small and green..... darn....

Who is heading to see the fireworks and wondering why we have to go
there three hours early to get a good seat- duh- they are in the
sky!.... It is so darn hot and humid out, had to come home and shower to
cool off after the bbq.....thankfully my a/c is working! Local news says
it feels like a 101degrees... Isn't this Pam's weather-- why is it in
Northern Illinois?!?