From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 8:45 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] New plant acquisition...

From the Chicago Botanic Garden I found out yours is a T. caeruleum
Throatwort, Trachelium caeruleum 'Devotion Purple'

The listing in A-Z says it grows to 3-4 ft and is hardy in zones 9-10.  Tch,
tch, if you've been looking at it for a couple of weeks, you might have
looked it up b4 buying......but then maybe you didn't WANT to know, eh?

Since you've made the investment, I would try to overwinter it in the
garage.  As a back up, try cuttings.  A-Z says to take softwood cuttings in
early summer.  Trachelium are all woody-based perennials.

Last winter I brought in an Osteospurmum.  I cut it back, it limped along,
looked pathetic by May.  But you should see that plant now!  Four times the
size it was last year and putting out more flowers every day.  I took
cuttings from my Persian Shields last fall and have a nice row of them this
year, interwoven with some Verbena 'Homestead Purple'.  This year I bought
some interesting Alternantheras and a Cordyline, which I'll try bringing in
this fall, too.  Also, since I now know that Coreopsis 'Limerock Ruby' isn't
hardy, I may bring that in.

These experiments are not always successful, but it's worth a try.  Good