Re: interesting visitor..Jesse...

> >From: "Donna " <justme@prairieinet.net>
> >What I really need to know is what eats voles? DH refuses to allow
mouse
> >traps, as he is afraid the dogs are going to get hurt.... my cat
is not
> >allowed outside (declawed before I got him) and since this is a
dog
> >neighborhood, no stray cats around.
----------

From a wildlife standpoint - hawks, owls, foxes, any wild cat - any
predator, actually, will eat a vole if it can catch it.  That's why
voles travel in those shallow tunnels just under the mulch or leaf
litter - to avoid getting caught by hawks and such.

A hunting cat will catch them.  My mighty hunter loves voles, but
she's been campused for a couple of years on account of her untiring
desire to bite birds...so the durn voles have repopulated my garden
to the immense detriment of my hostas!  Blasted critters!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade