Re: If you have already seen this - or are not a windowsuser- hit del...

In a message dated 07/01/2004 12:43:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

Switching boxes means having hours and hours of time to move stuff,
not to mention getting used to new programs or having to find new
ones to replace what I now use or having to load those in their
backward compatible mode and not have all of them function
right...oh, do I dread it!  I started out with an 8086 running DOS in
1980...still have it; works fine but there's nothing that would
really run on it anymore.  Graduated to a borrowed box and win3.1 and
then got my whippy new system in '96 with win95...Not so whippy these
days...

I do know where you are coming from, Marge.  I just finished setting up a new
system.  I still use the old DOS editor I started with in 1984 on an IBM XT.
When
I tried to buy a new computer last fall, my DH, who is a total technophobe,
persuaded
me that it would be a time-saver to have their "tech help" come and set
things up. Well
the so-called help declared that if the DOS program were to be loaded on the
new
machine it would "blow up," and he flatly refused to install it.  For various
reasons too numerous to go into, I sent that one back and waited until this
spring to make the move - doing it myself this time as I should have done
before.  In short, I am now running my old DOS program, using the printer and other
peripherals that the "help" had told me wouldn't work, and everything is
working smoothly.  Just finished my first big job on the new machine.But it did
mean a couple of days of intensive work, and some uneasy nights wondering if I
could really pull it off.
  An interesting note is that my original XT had 56k memory and a 10 meg hard
disk.  I maxed it out to 256k and 40 meg, making my own changes.  The current
machine has 512meg memory and an 80 GB hard drive, and cost about a third as
much as the first one.
Auralie