Re: Prayers needed

Well, Kitty, I said "supposedly" because, while it seems to be a lot
more 'in your face' than it was even a few years ago, it's a subject
that can still get people tied in square knots; wanting to clothe
sculpture and all....not a subject for open discussion in schools -
that sort of thing.  Gets the book banners all excited; guess they
don't watch TV.

Actually, I have not seen the commercials, because I just don't watch
TV any more except the 11PM news or some rare show on PBS and we turn
off the sound on the ads and I don't even watch them; can't stand
them.  My DH is glued to the box and occasionally I have caught a
glimpse of some show or other while passing by the box and been
amazed that they can get away with it.  I remember when "The Moon is
Blue" was banned on Boston...Lordy, how things have changed.

Should is the operative word.....yes, we SHOULD be heading in the
direction of less violence but we do not seem to be.  You'd think,
after a couple millennia, that the human race could learn how to
co-exist, but it does not seem to.  You'd think we'd advanced from
the mindset of the folks who crowded the Roman coliseums to watch
gladiators fight to the death and humans being torn apart by wild
animals; who reveled in blood sport, or those who, during the French
Revolution formed massive crowds around the guillotine or enjoyed
watching the hundreds burning to death during various British fits of
pyromania.  But, it seems we have not.  Why?  I have no clue.  Some
sick quirk of human nature.

Humans do seem fixated on removing irritations in a violent
manner...killing bugs, killing 'vermin', killing whatever gets in
their way.

Personally (showing my age), I think TV and Hollywood are
exacerbating the situation and our freedom of speech (which I value)
has been distorted as a permission to produce worse and worse violent
trash for consumption by younger and younger humans...after a while,
the horror subsides and they become inured to violence; think it is
normal...then, that spills over into other aspects of life.  Consider
the prevalence of road rage and other sorts of "rages" that seem to
happen every day now.

We (as a society) are not being successful in walking the very fine
line between freedom of expression and maintaining an environment
that encourages positive behavior in the young.  If the young are not
taught how to be civilized, they don't automatically learn it when
they become adults.  If they don't learn and have a few loose screws,
you get the mindless violence that is happening today.  For this, I
blame the total greed of the entertainment media as well as the other
factors that I mentioned in my other post.  They know better, but
they also know that violent trash sells so they keep producing more
and more of it...pushing the envelope as far as they can.

Sad commentary on our "civilization"...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade