Re: todays events....Canna

Most of the native cannas I've seen are growing at the edges of swamps, usually in full to partial shade. Even the green ones [including "Tropicanna"] in nurseries get kinda tatty looking if kept in full sun.

On Tuesday, July 6, 2004, at 04:29 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>
Had a canna there, seems it can't take sun, so is residing on the
screen
in deck here. *Anyone heard of this non-sense?* It is called Canna
stuttgart.
----------

Fantastic Canna  - now on my lust list!  Appears what you heard is
true.  Tony Avent says light shade as the white parts can burn...not
surprising; many plants with large amounts of white can't take full
sun.  He also says it needs lots of water in summer.  I'd just take
the scissors to the burnt bits; they're dead tissue anyway and your
plant would look better for the rest of this season.

Canna actually grow pretty well in part shade; you may not get as
many flowers, but if you're growing the ones with marvy foliage for
the foliage, that doesn't matter.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade