From: David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 22:13:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT-What July Fourth Means to Me- Long!

I need to live in a town like that! I miss ol' Norman Rockwell. I'm
not<br>being sarcastic I really mean it. Course, I'd probably open my
mouth and be<br>run out on a rail but hey the first 45 minutes would be
Tropics<br>www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>----- Original Message -----
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 2:23
AM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT-What July Fourth Means to Me-
very close to the<br>> real thing. In our little town, 4th of July is a
big, big deal. Things<br>> start happening the day before with an all
day softball tournament that<br>> the entire town turns up at sooner or
later. The local bar hosts a<br>> street dance with live bands that goes
on all afternoon and half the<br>> night. Families hang out at the park
all that day and the next,<br>> picnicking and playing. Relatives come
to visit from out of town. Family<br>> parties happening all over the
place. Loved ones home from the military<br>> are treated like royalty
all over town. On the day of the fourth, people<br>> pick out their
parking spots at the park early. The volunteer fire<br>> department
starts early in the morning putting together the show for<br>> that
night. For a town of less than 700 people, we spend an average of<br>>
$12-15,000 dollars on fireworks, all paid for by volunteer
donations.<br>> Half our volunteer fire department pay out of their own
pockets to get<br>> licensed as pyrotechnicians. We have a parade that
the entire town<br>> participates in, one way or another. Lots of
floats, horses,<br>> politicians, candy, and best of all, fire trucks
from as many<br>> communities around as can come (this year it was 8!)
Then by 7 in the<br>> evening, there is usually somewhere in the
neighborhood of a couple of<br>> thousand people milling around in town
as people come from all over to<br>> see our fireworks. It literally
stops the traffic a

ll up and down the<br>> highway. And it is always, always preceded by
the singing of the<br>> National Anthem and the salute to the flag. It
is a very patriotic deal<br>> here where many, many of our young folks
are serving in the military and<br>> many of our older folks are
veterans. This is not necessarily a time to<br>> reflect on all that is
wrong with our country, but rather to remember<br>> that once upon a
time, a few men changed the way they wanted to live and<br>> in so
doing, founded a great nation of people who value independence and<br>>
self-determination. I know of few people who would argue that in
nothing is unattainable. The<br>> legend that Mr. Reagan chose to wrap
those thoughts up in may not be any<br>> where close to the truth (what
legends really are), but I can live with<br>> the sentiment underlying
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>> --Albert
Einstein<br>><br>> --- On Sat 07/03, james singer < jsinger@igc.org >
wrote:<br>> From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]<br>> To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:38:54 -0400<br>>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT-What July Fourth Means to Me- Long!<br>><br>>
Ronald Reagan<br>><br>> For one who was born and grew up in the
small<br>> towns of the Midwest,<br>> there is a special kind of
helped along by the<br>> appearance in store windows of all kinds
of<br>> fireworks and colorful<br>> posters advertising them with vivid

th
e third of July -- sometimes earlier -- Dad would bring<br>> home
what<br>> he felt he could afford to see go up in smoke and flame.
We'd<br>> count<br>> and recount the number of firecrackers, display
pieces and other<br>><br>> things and go to bed determined to be up with
thought to the meaning of the<br>> day.<br>> And, yes, there were tragic
the fireworks. I'm sure we're<br>> better off today with<br>> fireworks
never to be forgotten in<br>> seeing a tin can blown<br>> 30 feet in the
air by a giant "cracker" --<br>> giant meaning it was about 4<br>>
growing up we began to be aware of<br>> the meaning of days<br>> and
with that awareness came the birth of<br>> patriotism. July Fourth is
believe even more<br>> today, that it is the<br>> birthday of the
Philadelphia, a day on which debate had raged for hours. The
men<br>><br>> gathered there were honorable men hard-pressed by a king
obey. Even so, to<br>> sign the<br>> Declaration of Independence was
the words "treason, the<br>> gallows, the headsman's axe," <br>>
as not a young man, but one who had to<br>> summon all his energy for
an<br>> impassioned plea. He cited the<br>> grievances that had brought
them to this<br>> moment and

finally, his<br>> voice falling, he said, "They may turn every<br>> tree
into a gallows,<br>> every hole into a grave, and yet the words of
workshop, they will speak<br>> hope; to the slave in<br>> the mines,
freedom. Sign that parchment. Sign<br>> if the next moment the<br>>
noose is around your neck, for that<br>> parchment will be the textbook
He fell back exhausted. The 56 delegates,<br>> swept up by his
eloquence,<br>> rushed forward and signed that document<br>> destined to
be as immortal as a<br>> work of man can be. When they<br>> turned to
thank him for his timely<br>> oratory, he was not to be found,<br>> nor
could any be found who knew who he<br>> was or how he had come in
Well, that<br>> is the legend. But we do know for certain that 56 men,
a<br>> little<br>> band so unique we have never seen their like since,
had pledged<br>><br>> their lives, their fortunes and their sacred
honor. Some gave their<br>><br>> lives in the war that followed, most
gave their fortunes, and all<br>><br>> preserved their sacred
lawyers and jurists,<br>> eleven were merchants and<br>> tradesmen, and
nine were farmers. They were<br>> soft-spoken men of<br>> means and
education; they were not an unwashed<br>> rabble. They had<br>> achieved
security but valued freedom more. Their<br>> stories have not<br>> been
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the
Web!<br>><br>>

hort.net -- join t

he