From: SueNY [mailto: sue.nyc@att.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:14:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Catching up

I was at Franks Nursery tonight and noticed all their bags of
vermiculite had<br>big yellow stickers on them that said "ASBESTOS
Melody<br> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br> Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 1:10
hours last night doing just that...researching it<br> and making up my
own mind. Turns out there was one vermiculite mine that<br> was
contaminated from a secondary source a few years back and it is no<br>
longer allowed to have vermiculite products on the market. Other<br>
companies now routinely test for vermiculite-asbestos contamination
as<br> does the EPA and it has not been found to be a problem since
then.<br> So...that's a relief and I can go on using my vermiculite as
much as I<br> want. However, I think I will follow the EPA's
recommendation to not use<br> in indoors or inside a poorly vented area,
to not shake the dust off<br> indoors, and to wash clothing thoroughly
after use...all the things I do<br> anyway as this just is common sense
not to use something that dusty that<br> could be breathed into your
lungs like that anyway. I only asked in the<br> first place 'cuz I
thought someone on the list might know more than I<br> did...which

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com