From:  [mailto: Aplfgcnys@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:39:45 EDT
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Jim's new picture links

In a message dated 07/13/2004 12:05:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hormones might help.<br>I'd love to have a set up like that. Having it
ready and waiting would make<br>it so much easier to take cuttings
sufficient for your needs, but for a number of years <br>I kept a
clear<br>plastic "sweater box" - don't know what else it would be called
- about <br>15"x6" by 5"deep<br>with a cover - filled with about 3 or 4
inches of vermiculite on my kitchen <br>counter - protected<br>spot by a
sunny window. The lid of the box was its tray, though there were <br>no
drainage<br>holes. I can't begin to guess how many plants I rooted in
that box but there <br>were many.<br>Whenever I had a leaf or cutting or
pruning, a piece of it went into the box. <br> When the<br>rootings
began to get so big they overwhelmed other things, or there was no
kitchen counter, I <br>was reminded<br>to water it frequently, but never
let it be soggy. I theorized -never read <br>this anywhere - <br>that
the rooting plants produced their own hormones that helped other things
it up when it got low <br>(some would<br>cling to the roots of the
cuttings when I removed them.) When we remodeled <br>the kitchen<br>a
few years back I promised myself a new box - that one had become pretty
never replaced it, <br>though I think<br>of it often. I usually have
something rooting somewhere at any given

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com