From: Donna [mailto: justme@prairieinet.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:42:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Re:  [CHAT] Re: now  wacko  therapists.

really kinda scary-- if you think about it.<br><br>----- Original
Message -----<br>From: gardenqueen@academicplanet.com<br>Sent: 7/13/2004
6:15:44 AM<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: now
wacko therapists.<br><br>> I'm not one for over-regulation of anything,
but shouldn't that be<br>> controlled just a tad better, or am I nuts??
gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Subject: RE: Re: [CHAT] Re: now wacko
therapists.<br>> <br>> > No- therapist are not required to undergo any
therapy themselves.<br>> > Psychoanalysts (that one Fruedian-based
approach) do have to go through<br>> > analysis- however, I'm not sure
that it improves anything. There are NO<br>> > regulations on who can
call themselves a "therapist"- it is not a regulated<br>> > term in any
state that I know of. Ph.D./PsyD Clinical Psychologists have<br>> > the
most therapy training, closely followed by LCSW Social Workers.<br>> >
MFT/MFCC (Marriage Family Therapists/Marriage Family Child
Counselors)have<br>> > two years of post grad training, and in my
opinion the training varies<br>> > remarkably depending on the program.
Psychiatrists are physicians who go<br>> > back to specialize in
psychiatry- lots of training about meds, less on<br>> > therapy.<br>> >
Also, there are many different approaches to therapy, some valid,
other's<br>> > very wacky. Ask about the persons therapeutic
orientation/technique. Some<br>> > professionals from all of the choices
are excellent, but some are not.<br>> > <br>> > So- pick your
"therapist" wisely. If it doesn't seem right from the<br>> > beginning-
find a different one. Just as in medical school, someone had to<br>> >
graduate in the bottom of their class. Probably isn't the person you
Message-----<br>> > From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net

[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On<br>> > Behalf Of
gardenqueen@academicplanet.com<br>> > Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 9:47
AM<br>> > To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> > Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] Re:
don't therapists have to be analyzed themselves?? Wouldn't this
process<br>> > weed out the really severely whacked out ones??<br>> >
> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> > Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Four O'Clocks,
wedding.now wacko therapists.<br>> > <br>> > > Andrea: I can't agree
more. It never fails to amaze me how many<br>> > > borderline
personality disordered patients go to school to become<br>> > >
therapists. These people do an enormous amount of harm, especially
if<br>> > > their clients come to them with issues similar to their
own...both<br>> > > therapist and client get caught in a very ugly, very
vicious cycle of<br>> > > staying bogged down in the past and never
moving into the present and<br>> > > looking at the future. Ugh!!<br>> >
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>> > > --Albert
Einstein<br>> > ><br>> > > --- On Sat 07/10, Andrea H <
hodgesaa@earthlink.net > wrote:<br>> > > From: Andrea H [mailto:
hodgesaa@earthlink.net]<br>> > > To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> > > Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:43:38 -0400<br>> > > Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Four
O'Clocks, wedding..<br>> > ><br>> > > I think that it's a fortunate
person that finds the right one, as many<br>> > > as<br>just as whacko
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:<br>> > > Saturday, July 10, 2004 11:24
AM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Four<br>> > > O'Clocks,

----------<br>> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com