Re: harvesting seeds and words

I suppose that most of know that George Bernard Shaw said "ghoti" was pronounced "fish"--gh as in enough, o as in women, and ti as in motion.

On Thursday, July 15, 2004, at 03:00 PM, Kitty wrote:

Bonnie, I don't go around correcting people either. A wonderful woman in my
nursery group referred many times to a plant we bought as Sambuncus (Sam bun
kus). I just kept saying Sambucus (Sam byew kus). This woman usually
corrects me in polite way, such as "Oh, I've always said...", so I don't
mind. But she didn't attempt to correct me on this, nor did I, her.
Frankly, there is no 'n' in the name, so regardless of "Spanish
pronunciation, German, Italian, French or > what-have-you", the 'n' sound
just isn't there.

"Feeling better?"....well, that reminds me of my niece. She is a very
strong-willed, stubborn, no-holds-barred type of girl. One time, she threw
a fit about something, screamed and yelled at her parents. Her mom said,
"Why are you acting like this? You'd never be this way around other
people." She conceded this was true. "But you're family. You *have* to
take it." Meaning that family accepts you, warts and all, because they love
you. So....I don't correct others, I just hope you folks (my e-family) will
allow me to vent and still accept me, warts and all.

Kitty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan" <wmorgan972@ameritech.net> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 1:12 PM Subject: RE: [CHAT] harvesting seeds

Feeling better, Kitty? To be honest, our English language is such a
hodgepodge of various linguistic influences, that one never knows to
pronounce something with a Spanish pronunciation, German, Italian, French
or
what-have-you if they haven't heard it used correctly. It used to really
bug me too, Kitty. But over time, I just decided that I would make every
attempt to pronounce things correctly when someone else mispronounced it
without worrying whether I've converted the offender.

Years ago, my best friend's mother used to call me "Bunny." I didn't
think
she approved of me at all and it was frustrating. At her funeral I
learned
that she always thought she pronounced it "Bonnie" even though it came out
Bunny every time. (She was a Southern lady transplanted to the Midwest.)
Since then, I've just let things like that roll after they hear me repeat
back to them what I think they've said or what I believe the correct
pronunciation is around other adults. Kids, on the other hand, may get
the
"old English teacher" in me to corner them and make them practice the word
until it comes out a very close approximation of correct.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)