From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:00:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] harvesting seeds

Bonnie, I don't go around correcting people either. A wonderful woman in
my<br>nursery group referred many times to a plant we bought as
Sambuncus (Sam bun<br>kus). I just kept saying Sambucus (Sam byew kus).
This woman usually<br>corrects me in polite way, such as "Oh, I've
always said...", so I don't<br>mind. But she didn't attempt to correct
me on this, nor did I, her.<br>Frankly, there is no 'n' in the name, so
regardless of "Spanish<br>pronunciation, German, Italian, French or >
better?"....well, that reminds me of my niece. She is a
very<br>strong-willed, stubborn, no-holds-barred type of girl. One time,
she threw<br>a fit about something, screamed and yelled at her parents.
Her mom said,<br>"Why are you acting like this? You'd never be this way
around other<br>people." She conceded this was true. "But you're family.
You *have* to<br>take it." Meaning that family accepts you, warts and
all, because they love<br>you. So....I don't correct others, I just hope
you folks (my e-family) will<br>allow me to vent and still accept me,
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 1:12
Kitty? To be honest, our English language is such a<br>> hodgepodge of
various linguistic influences, that one never knows to<br>> pronounce
something with a Spanish pronunciation, German, Italian,
French<br>or<br>> what-have-you if they haven't heard it used correctly.
It used to really<br>> bug me too, Kitty. But over time, I just decided
that I would make every<br>> attempt to pronounce things correctly when
someone else mispronounced it<br>> without worrying whether I've
converted the offender.<br>><br>> Years ago, my best friend's mother
used to call me "Bunny." I didn't<br>think<br>> she approved of me at
all and it was frustrating.

At her funeral I<br>learned<br>> that she always thought she pronounced
it "Bonnie" even though it came out<br>> Bunny every time. (She was a
Southern lady transplanted to the Midwest.)<br>> Since then, I've just
let things like that roll after they hear me repeat<br>> back to them
what I think they've said or what I believe the correct<br>>
pronunciation is around other adults. Kids, on the other hand, may
get<br>the<br>> "old English teacher" in me to corner them and make them
practice the word<br>> until it comes out a very close approximation of
-----Original Message-----<br>> From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
Thursday, July 15, 2004 11:15 AM<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>
Why don't people look at the word before saying it? It is not the
color<br>> fuchsia; it is a plant fuchsia. It is named after a man named
Fuchs. It<br>is<br>> pronounced Fyooks-ee-uh, not fyoo-shuh. (oo as in
tool)<br>><br>> Well, to be fair, I looked it up. On line dictionaries
say everything is<br>> fyoo-shuh. But I think Mr Fuchs would have
resented being introduced as<br>Mr.<br>> Fyoosh. Modern botanical
dictionaries allow for fyoo-shuh, but mainly<br>refer<br>> to it as a
popular pronunciation, not as correct.<br>><br>> All you have to do is
LOOK at the word! How can the letters chs give a sh<br>> sound? Look
where the s IS! Anyone ever heard of phonics?<br>><br>> Ok, I'll shut up
"james singer" <jsinger@igc.org><br>> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 4:07 AM<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT]
that you collect the seeds when the<br>> > pods are ripe and let them
dry before removing them from the pods.<br>> > Fuchsias are normally
propagated by cuttings, howev

er
. Very easy to<br>> > root; will root, even bloom while doing so, in
water.<br>> ><br>> > On Wednesday, July 14, 2004, at 11:45 PM, Donna
wrote:<br>> ><br>> > > Ok.... I should have been deadheading.... but ya
know....<br>> > ><br>> > > Anyways, here is a picture of an annual (for
me) in a hanging basket.<br>> > > Note all the hips/seed pods?<br>> >
> > Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> > >
F [-1 C]<br>> ><br>> >
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>