Re: Reel Mowers

Jesse,
I used a new-at-the-time reel mower for 3 years - 1989-92 when I had a lot
of grass.  It was lighter than the ones we used as kids, but heavier than
new-now mowers and not self-sharpening.  It was not hard to use at all on my
flat lawn.  The trick is, that you don't let the grass get too long before
mowing.  Reel mowers actually cut the grass, while regular gas-powered
mowers whack it.  You will notice that the cut tips of the grass are
cleaner, smoother, greener with a reel mower.  Overall, it can make the lawn
look much nicer and healthier.

I switched to a regular gas-powered mulching mower for several reasons, but
the main reason was that reel mowers at the time could not cut the grass to
the height I wanted.  Maximum height then was less than 2 inches.  The
taller it is, the more likely the mower just pushes it down rather than cut
it, so they weren't made for anything higher.  This is also why your DH
complained about it - made it harder to push when you waited too long to
mow.

Today they have lots of new models of reel mowers on the market and I think
Scotts makes one that will now go as high as 3 inches.  There are also gas
and electric models. If my old Craftsman ever croaks, I will probably get a
traditional reel mower.  I haven't got enough grass now to warrant a powered
one.  And I would sure appreciate the peace and quiet, as the blades slice,
rather than, whack, the grass.

Kitty