Re: Daylilies

I did write a 5x/yr newsletter for 5 yrs and it wasn't too bad.  You can
always play with font size, line height, margins, clip art, whatever, to
stretch or shrink.

The reason I think the plant spotlight approach would be do-able is that it
would be somewhat formulaic.  Cover description, basic stats, cultivation,
propagation, background, interesting anecdote, uses, that sort of thing.
Put all that into 2 six-inch columns (same size as bridge tips, Heloise, Dr.
Gott, and horoscopes)  It wouldn't be too hard.  Forgot to mention herbs
before.  As I said, there are so many plants to cover, it wouldn't be
difficult, just time-consuming.

Re > the research that it would take is mind boggling.
It's my opinion that you can over-research something.  I think a thorough
investigation relying on several reliable sources and a few item-specific
ones for good measure can provide good information.  You could conduct a
more intensive investigation into anything, but eventually just spinning
your wheels.  I think a good writer knows when he/she's got it.

The biggest problem would be graphics.  For a small article, any photo would
be tiny.  We're also talking b/w on newsprint.  I'm not sure it would be
worth it except that people do want to see photos.  Then (you're right)
there's the problem of permission.  I'm not sure how this would be solved.