Re: Daylilies

Gene,
I tend to agree with you, but....
In the case of the extension office articles, the Horticulture Educator does
possess "in-depth quality professionalism".  I have no idea whether he's
being paid, but since he's a county employee, my bet is that he is not.  So
you are right about the 'cheap route' the newspapers are going.  However,
this is also most likely to the advantage of the Extension office in the
publicity they get as well as an opportunity to provide a service to the
community (which is what his job is).  And it is not like he's writing a
column, it is only 4 articles a year.

In previous posts we discussed why the papers go the cheap route.  I'm not
saying I agree with or like it, but as a Marketing major, I understand it.
However, my local paper's cheap route in the past has been to just grab
anything off Scripps-Howard News Service regardless of value and say,
"there! there's your gardening article."  As a reader and consumer, I'm
trying to convince them to offer something better.

In regard convincing them to pay experienced garden writers for better
material, what needs to be done is to pitch a sale to the newspaper which
sells the value of a paid-for article, not by the merits of its content, but
by its potential for producing revenue.  Newspapers are not NPOs.  Perhaps a
group package would be in order.  You and 3 nurseries get together.  They
agree to place ads in the paper supporting plants in your article.

Kitty