Re: Heuchera was: My garden

Kitty, in my experience with Heuchera, you have to lift and reset if
not divide them every year.  They tend to grow out of the ground and
sort of dwindle otherwise.  Need to be reset with  the foliage just
above ground level.  Also think they need the soil amended when you
lift them.  I love the foliage, but do not class them as 'easy'
plants.  I've bought and planted probably 15 or 20 different ones
over the years; lost many who just plain died or had their roots
eaten by voles or vine weevils; others just faded out no matter what
I did for them.  Those that have survived, esp. the larger leaf
forms, simply have to be dug and replanted annually or they fade

They also want a fair amount of sun - or at the very least really
good light.  They are not really shade plants tho' they seem to be
sold as such.  Some seem to be more robust than others.  I think some
of them are put on the market without enough actual testing under
garden conditions in the various climates in this country.  Some just
can't take the heat well...it has to do with their very complex

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs