Re: Happy 4th of July

Been a great holiday - 4 days and I have spent them in the garden;
not in the office by sheer force of will since I have work piled up
that will jump on me tomorrow.  I was determined to have a 'holiday'.
 Only downside is that it's over - those 4 days sure went fast - what
I need is a month in the garden and I'd have a really tidy garden:-)
However, Auralie, while it's "only" been in the high 80's here, I
sure would rather have your 70's....it's slow motion gardening time
and going back into the 90s this week, so the weatherpersons say.  I
loathe being soaked and sweaty, so I must love gardening as that
seems to be my state all summer in this climate.

Actually managed to get something accomplished, too.  Not, of course,
all that I had on my list, enough of it to feel good about it.  At
least 1/3 of my gravel drive and parking area is absolutely
weedfree!!!   This happy state should last for at least a
week...those things grow amazingly fast from seed...I've had the
entire thing weed free twice so far this season and the part that
isn't looks like no human hand has touched it for at least a century.
 Even got some long overdue pruning done and the beds on either side
of the drive weeded, clipped and what not plus a rehabbed bed dug,
planted and mulched and the last of my impatiens in the ground:-)

We've had 2 major thunderstorms that about washed out my unfinished
patio and gouged out part of the gravel drive, so we're not actually
hurting for water tho' I was digging a new bed today and see that the
soil, while not bone dry, isn't what I'd call damp.

A nice, long drizzle would be just fine with me, but you guys who
haven't had any rain get first dibs.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs