Re: Emily & teaching Science, or not

> science cannot coexist w/ religion.   Who's to say the Big Bang wasn't
> merely God snapping his (or her) fingers saying OK, the universe comes
> into being now?   Science merely explains the natural universe  and
> its forces which were ultimately created by a Divine will.   They
> don't have to be in different camps.   The 6000 year theory was
> obviously dreamed up by someone who knew nothing of carbon dating.
> But people w/ bizarre and myopic attitudes exist in all walks of life.
> More's the pity....

I remember reading an article a few years back where scientists thought
they might have determined that time wasn't a constant -- the further
and further you went from the center of the Big Bang, the slower time

The creationists were all thrilled.  They said that this meant both camps
were right -- dinosaurs were around millions of years ago, but only because
TIME WAS FASTER THEN.  They claimed that if time had been constant it
would've only been 6000 years or whatever.

Personally, I doubt most stuff from the church.  I mean, it took until 1992
for them to pardon Galileo for saying that the Earth revolved around the
sun!  I guess I believe in a higher power, but I don't really worship and
don't acknowledge papal authority.