Re: Emily & teaching Science, or not

Where science is concerned, we have to differentiate between
hypothesis/theory and proof/fact. The Galileo controversy was
complex, but focused on the perceived contradiction between the
heliocentric theory and scripture. Cardinal Bellarmine (ok, Jim,
another Jesuit) wrote to an ally of Galileo, "I say that if real
proof be found that the sun is fixed and does not revolve around the
earth, but the earth around the sun, then it will be necessary, very
carefully, to proceed to the explanation of the passages of Scripture
which appear to be contrary, and we should rather say we have
misunderstood these than pronounce that to be false which is

Cathy, west central IL, z5b