Re: pond leak

With a preformed pond, and the lack of rain lately in that area, it's
probably not a problem with the pond itself. My mom, in San Antonio had a  similar
situation.  Depending on how much is missing.....if just a little  every day,
then first thought is evaporation.  During the hottest parts of  the year, SA
and Austin being so dry, the evaporation rate is high.
If it is more than just the usual inch per day type thing....then check for
plants that have their roots either in the water or water/bog plants on
shelves  that have grown outward.  My mom's pond was leaking badly, ended up being
roots from outside plants that had crawled in under the rocks and were
leaching  out the water at a high rate, since it hadn't rained in so long, the roots
were  looking for water anywhere.  Another thought would be a leak in tubing
(cracking from exposure to sun) to a spitter, water fall, etc.  Also, if  she
has a bio filter or some external device, check that.   Those preformed ponds
are pretty sturdy, and can withstand quite a bit  of abuse before they crack,
so that would be the last thought to look for a  crack or leak in the actual
pond.   Look for wet  spots around the pond, or plants growing better than
others around the  pond.
Good luck.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 7/17/2005 11:02:33 PM Central Standard Time,