Re: Emily & teaching Science, or not

Eva:  Well, I'm just glad you can have a sense of humor and some perspective about it.  LOL!  Your husband cracks me up!

Hills, IA  zone 5

 --- On Fri 07/15,  < EvaTEsq@aol.com > wrote:
From:  [mailto: EvaTEsq@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:07:10 EDT
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Emily & teaching Science, or not

Holy crap! I'm trying to catch up on email & I didn't realize you guys
rabid Christians and, as a result, I am a victim of <br>this. I was
forced to attend religious schools during grades 1-8 and I was
evidence that <br>the earth is really older all occurred because of the
flood (you know, Noah & <br>the Ark, rain for 40 days & nights, etc);
and the Grand Canyon is a result of <br>the flood -- all of that crap.
that the devil <br>wants us to believe, and that if I was tempted into
believing in evolution, <br>as opposed to the creation story that the
earth was created in 6 days, that I <br>will burn in hell & not be
"saved", hence I would not go to heaven. (gasp!)<br> <br>I can tell you
-- I am seriously screwed up as a result. I can't believe <br>the

creation theory, yet I am so screwed up that I don't believe evolution
information as to <br>how the earth came to be is not 'critical' for me
to get on with everyday <br>life, so I put it out of my head and realize
that I'm screwed up.<br> <br>My hubby makes fun of me, though, whenever
we are watching the Discovery <br>channel or any similar show that talks
about the age of the earth. When they <br>talk about gazillions of years
ago, he turns to me & says, "Oh, for you that is <br>8 weeks ago." LOL
It makes me laugh. I realize I'm ridiculously screwed <br>in the head
about this. I just have to laugh about it.<br> <br>Don't worry David --
I'm NOT offended in the slightest. I wish people would <br>just teach
the kids science & not screw them up as badly as I have been.<br>
truth. _

Memo?_ <br>http://democracyforamerica.com/memo_movie.php_
(http://democracyforamerica.com/memo_movie.php) _

at the<br>museum I worked for. I had a Christian academy class come in
one day. They<br>brought their texts with them, and I soon found out
that the only reason<br>they came to the class was to argue their point
that dinosaurs and man<br>"walked the earth together." Their text
actually depicted a photograph on a<br>dinosaur fossil and a fossilized
"caveman" footprint in the same picture,<br>thus proving that they lived
at the same time according to the text. It was<br>disconcerting to say
the least, and of

course I was only 22 at the time and<br>had no idea how to respond with
offending someone. Now, I am NOT slamming<br>the Christian religion, so
no one start getting upset please, but that was<br>way over the top. It
amazed and appalled me what those children were
Message]<br>> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net><br>> To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Date: 7/12/2005 8:59:01 PM<br>> Subject: Re:
my thoughts. One word on what you wrote <br>> about evolution: National
Geographic had an interesting article on <br>> evolution and Darwin's
journeys. The author lamented that the title of<br>that <br>>
breakthrough scientific work was labeled "The Theory of Evolution." This
a<br>theory...meaning <br>> just an idea rather than a firm scientific
basis for

the study of life <br>> science. Also, and I think I wrote about this a
few months ago, most <br>> shocking of all was that more than 40% of the
American people do not buy<br>the <br>> theory. A significant number
believe that the age of the earth/universe<br>can <br>> be counted in

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com