Common name database

I started working on a common name/scientific name database today for edible fruit plants. Everything, thus far, from Abelmoschus esculentus [okra] to Zyzyphus jujuba [Chinese jujube]. The alpha [controlling] field is common name. Other fields are scientific--family, genus, species. So far I've got about 1,000 entries. Because common names are not mutually exclusive, and because discrete plants may have more than one common name, there is a bit of redundancy, which is one of the purposes of the database.

The next two fields I intend to add are "Low USDA Zone" and "High USDA Zone" to indicate gross range of adaptation. This, of course, needs a modifying wet/dry indicator of some sort because some plants thrive in zone 9 Mediterranean and other thrive in zone 9 subtropical and neither do well in the other's environment. But I haven't figured out how to learn and/or indicate that, except by the plant's origin.

Any suggestions [except "Seek professional help" I mean]?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10