Re: Common name database

> The next two fields I intend to add are "Low USDA Zone" and "High USDA
> Zone" to indicate gross range of adaptation. This, of course, needs a
> modifying wet/dry indicator of some sort because some plants thrive in
> zone 9 Mediterranean and other thrive in zone 9 subtropical and neither
> do well in the other's environment. But I haven't figured out how to
> learn and/or indicate that, except by the plant's origin.
>
> Any suggestions [except "Seek professional help" I mean]?

Hi Jim,

   I suppose it depends on what the qualifying factor is.  When a plant
   thrives in a subtropical area, is it because of the high humidity?
   Or is it the amount of rainfall?  Does a Mediterranean plant need
   more air to dry out the crowns?

   So I guess my point is that for me, I couldn't create a database
   field without knowing what cultural factors determined a plant's
   life or death.

Chris