Re: poison ivy and wasps

Vine-X has the same active ingredient as Ortho's Brush-B-Gone, which is triclopyr. Main difference seems to be that Vine-X contains 13.6 percent active ingredient and BBG contains 8 or 9 percent. Could make a big difference, depending on mixing instructions.

On Jul 26, 2005, at 9:36 PM, Rich Apking wrote:

Hi Chris,

I've used a product called vine-ex on my poison ivy, poison oak, and any
other tree type weed that is too big or too dangerous to pull, and if you
are a little patient, your problem is dead. Stone cold dead. It's really
good stuff, although you gotta be a little careful in application. The web
site is www.vine-x.com. It is a very neat company to deal with and they
have a heckuva product.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Chris@widom-assoc.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:04 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] poison ivy and wasps

Does anyone know if poison ivy vines that are sprayed with herbicide still
have sap that is poisonous? Does the intensity of the urushiol diminish
with time? I've got a spot in my mom's old garden, that I'm attempting to
renovate, that has some small poison ivy "bushes". They will have to be
dug out. I was in there pulling today with plastic bags on my hands, but
I've reached an impasse. I threw my shoes and gloves right in the washing
machine when I decided to quit.

While I was working some ground nesting wasps or hornets stung me on the
forehead. My eye and head still hurt. They had built a paper nest under
some stone on a low wall. What should I do to get rid of them? I need to be
able to remove weeds overgrowing that area, or I'd just let them be.

Chris Petersen
Northport, NY
Zone 7

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.